Rear hub noise and missing parts

Home Forums English General questions Rear hub noise and missing parts

This topic contains 7 reacties, has 4 deelnemers, and was last updated by Martino 6 years, 1 month geleden.

8 berichten aan het bekijken - 1 tot 8 (van in totaal 8)
  • Gebruiker

marrapirre
    Topic starter

Hello friends!

My oldtimer Ciao is making some real noise which comes from the rear hub, it sorta screams. Could it be the reduction gears or perhaps the bearings? I’m waiting on a renovation kit for the rear hub.

While disassembling the rear tire I noticed that the triangular mounting plate with bearing was absent, is it for later models than 1972 or should I buy one of those? The rear hub is leaking oil if tilted, from the right side where the bike chain cog is located.

Lastly, can anyone please help me find two replacement or original shields/covers over the carburetor. I think it’s an oldtimer part aswell since the footplate is screwed in place on said shield.

Thanks in advance and greetings from Sweden

/Marrapirre

AA-T
    Sleutelbeheerder

I never heared of a ciao without a triangular mounting plate so I would defenitely order one and don’t drive untill you mounted it!

Because the plate was missing your bearings and seals were subject to severe wear and it’s no wonder there is an oil leak and it screams. You’re already waiting on a renovation kit, if there is no other wear this should fix it.

Because of the oil leak changes are your break pad is also soaked with oil, you should check this out and if so the easiest solution would be to order a new brake pad as well (it’s quit hard if not impossible to get all the oil out).

Wilk1985

Your orange one should indeed not have a triangular plate, they started using these plates in the beginning of 1970. I am not exactly sure how this system works in your orange Ciao but if you place some photo’s of the rear transmission parts i am sure somebody can tell you what is wrong.

The shields can be quite difficult to find, i also do not have a spare one at the moment but maybe somebody else does.

AA-T
    Sleutelbeheerder

Didn’t know that, so the rear wheel is only fixed on 1 side? Love to see some pictures.

marrapirre
    Topic starter

This is what the right side of my rear hub looks like:

I’m guessing its like what Wilk says. But the noise is from the cog or bearing that the belt disk is mounted on. HOPEFULLY I don’t need to change the gears.

I’ll have to dig up the rear tire for more pictures (I’m currently restoring her).

marrapirre
    Topic starter

Found another: this is when I last dried out the rear brake. Hope this clears some things out, I’ll take more pics soon

AA-T
    Sleutelbeheerder

Thanks 🙂 by the looks of it the way the gears are mounted in the rear wheel is quit different. I think the rear wheel itself is also a bit different?

Take good care of it, this is quit unique  😎

Martino
    Bijdrager

Unfortunately the new forum doesn’t allow to upload pdf files anymore. Otherwise i had a good user guide or instruction book for the Piaggio Ciao C7 and C9 mopeds. In this manual there is a good picture of the rearhub and from your photos it looks it’s complete and indeed no need for any triangular mounting plate. This round mounting plate is instead of the triangular one.

The strangest thing is, other then using a ball bearing for the outgoing axle which do not come in a revision kit. There is also a lack or not using any shimrings for the other axles.

8 berichten aan het bekijken - 1 tot 8 (van in totaal 8)

Je moet ingelogd zijn om een reactie op dit onderwerp te kunnen geven.