Joes random builds and projects

Home Forums Perso’s Projecten Joes random builds and projects

This topic contains 101 reacties, has 15 deelnemers, and was last updated by zevenenergie 4 months, 2 weeks geleden.

15 berichten aan het bekijken - 1 tot 15 (van in totaal 102)
  • Gebruiker

Joe
    Topic starter

Here is my ciao build
    I picked up the bike in a trade with a buddy, basically the whole bike minus an engine.

Frame stripped and seams welded

Frame painted

Intake bored

Ported stock cylinder

Joe
    Topic starter

Stock flywheel weight

Flywheel weight after lightening

Cylinder head cut to tighten squish band

Cylinder spaced at the base and decked to open the ports completely at bottom dead center

In the United States mopeds are limited to 25 mph so the manufacturers did mods to keep them at that speed limit. I’ve heard the euro motors didn’t get this treatment.

Joe
    Topic starter

Beginning to assemble the bike

Cnc bar mount for the bravo forks

Yamaha yz85 pipe cut and welded to fit the ciao

Homemade clutch cheeks to achieve more variation

Joe
    Topic starter

Here’s a video of the first start

Martino
    Bijdrager

Nice you’ve started a perso here, i think you are active on mopedarmy as well? I’ll see some nice work on the Piaggio 50cc cylinder. Also you know that flywheel is an oldtimer type and one of the most heaviest out there, even lightened. Here in europe most pointer wheels are between 700 and 800 grams. Also i’ve heard most of the Piaggio cranks from overseas are p12 without a needle bearing?

About the limit for mopeds, it depends on which country you’re talking, over here in Holland we have different rules and regulations from our neighboring countries. At the moment we have two types of moped speedlimiters, a 25km/h and 45km/h.

Nice detail on the pistonhead it says USA, but also those Italians still used the “sc” short for scarico which means exhaust.

Joe
    Topic starter

Yes it is a 12 mm pin with a bronze bushing rather than a bearing. I haven’t seen a 10mm pin engine in all the bikes I have worked on. Yes I’m on mopedarmy as well, I have been reading the forum here for a while I figured I’d join. All the engines I’ve come across have points engines and have the same heavy flywheel. I think I can get the next one I do a bit lighter.

• Deze reactie is gewijzigd 4 years, 5 months geleden door Joe.

Crullie
    Donateur

Your more than welcome Joe, great to see some fine tunning :thumb specialy the stock cilinder that become a bad ass cilinder 😛 ,  would be nice to see more off your work and tunning !
    I’m also a big fan on spacers to open the ports as it schould be 😛
    Its clear that you know how to tune a Vespa :thumb

TICKLING BARN

zevenenergie
    Forum Goeroe

How in heaven’s name have you added 2 extra exhaust ports?
    I have tried that,  it requires quite a bit of tingkering in a stock cylinder.

Naamloos

Your CNC parts are awesome :thumb

In Holland we have 2 categories. 26 km / h   and    40 km / h.
    On a 26 km moped you don,t have to wear a helmet.

We have other flywheels for contact point ignition.
    It is possible to slim them down to 430 grams.

• Deze reactie is gewijzigd 4 years, 5 months geleden door zevenenergie.

Joe
    Topic starter

Yeah I cut the exhaust port off the cylinder opened up the exhaust port in the cylinder through the stud and drilled the auxiliary exhaust ports. It hits the power band hard for 50cc. I’ve hit 44mph on this build shooting for 50 mph. I just swapped the transmission gears from 12.25:1 to 11:1 but haven’t got a time to do a top speed run.

zevenenergie
    Forum Goeroe

I have to go and look in a stock cylinder. I can’t quite believe it yet. 2 gates at the right height can give 1-2 horsepower extra. 😀
    Wel done :thumb

Is in amerika a ciao forum we can visit?

Joe
    Topic starter

I drilled from the exhaust port with a small drill bit then came back in with a carbide burr on a dremel to get the auxiliary port height to match the exhaust port.

http://Www.mopedarmy.com is the usual forum I use but its a mix of all mopeds and not just Vespa.

Joe
    Topic starter

https://mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?7,4027273

This thread is why I built my ciao I wanted to see if I could hit the 50 mph (80.5 km / h) challenge. I’m a big guy 6’4 ”(1.93 meters) 235 pounds (106.5 kg) I bet someone lighter on the bike could hit that speed no problem.

• Deze reactie is gewijzigd 4 years, 5 months geleden door Joe.

Joe
    Topic starter

Here is my kinetic build
    I got this kinetic from a coworker for a case of beer (dales pale ale) not running, sitting under his mom’s porch for years. I cleaned the carb and cleaned out the plugged up exhaust and she was running.

With a 23 mph top speed it was fun but not nearly fast enough, so the modding begins.

A order to treats I picked up a proma circuit pipe, a 13.13 carb and a malossi high flow air filter. It was a bit faster, not by much probably only a few mph but I was hooked. The stock proma silencer was super loud so I fitted a cr85 silencer on. It was much quieter with this muffler and header wrapping the pipe.

Next step was variating the bike I picked up a rear hub, trans, and clutch.

I laced the hub into a odyssey hazard double wall bmx rim. It was far lighter than the stock stamped steel kinetic rim.

I used a malossi variator with the variated setup. It wasn’t much faster but it was able to pull hills much better. I swapped a dr 64cc kit onto the bike at some point that helped the bike pull into the mid to high 30s with 12:1 gears but I lost the pictures of that.

Next step was the front wheel, I wanted to run a disc brake setup. I machined a hub to accept a Hayes mtb rotor and used a Hayes caliper and lever on the kinetic forks. I laced the hub to a old sun big city double wall bmx rim I had laying around.

Joe
    Topic starter

The next step was to lengthen the frame and get the frame set up for new forks. I’m 6’4″ I wanted the bike to be comfortable.

Frame cut, new headset cups turned to run a bmx 1 1/8 threadless headset.

Slug welded inside the frame

Joe
    Topic starter

Seams welded, top tube added, gussets under the tank added. Filler plated overtop of the slug welded in and grinded smooth.

I scored a set of showa ducati fork legs from a buddy for building a motorcycle exhaust for him. I made custom tripple trees to keep the fork legs close together so they didn’t look out of place on the moped.

Here are the fork tubes in a set of ktm tripples I had laying around they were far too wide

Turning the shaft for the tripples, I initially went with aluminum but it gauld when I tried to press it into the lower portion. So I remade it from steel.

I incorporated the stock speedometer into the upper portion

I came across a decent deal on a polini water pump. So I figured might as well water cool the bike. I was getting into the 400s for extended wot riding with the dr kit and stock head.

Titanium nut/water pump pulley

15 berichten aan het bekijken - 1 tot 15 (van in totaal 102)

Je moet ingelogd zijn om een reactie op dit onderwerp te kunnen geven.