Which vario gearing ?

Home Forums English Pub talk Which vario gearing ?

This topic contains 11 reacties, has 5 deelnemers, and was last updated by Lennaert 8 years, 6 months geleden.

12 berichten aan het bekijken - 1 tot 12 (van in totaal 12)
  • Gebruiker

rubymax
    Topic starter

Hello,

My current setup on Piaggio SI:

– DR EVO 43 with port matching
    – dellorto 13/13 + malossi air filter, widen carb intake
    – 90 mm vario with malossi contra yellow spring
    – malossi multivar
    – giannelli fire
    – electronic ignition
    – mixed 3x7g & 3x6g roller weights
    – main jet 66
    – 1:12,5 vario gearing

With 1:12.5 gearing I can’ t get top speed more than 60 KM/h (GPS). I assumed that with my gearing (1:12.5)I’ve already reach the limit. 😕

Do you think I must looking for lower gearing. Original 1:10,5 or MALOSSI 1:9 or CIF 1:9.5?

Any suggestions:thumb

regards

kv050
    Bijdrager

I would definitly get 1:10.5 gearing to start it off but since you need to buy it id just go for malo or cif, just depends on what you can buy more easily because the malo gearing is quite expensive and hard to get i believe.
    I had a setup similar to yours and i had a 68-70 main jet so maybe you can up yours aswell if you buy the other gearing, and when i did had the setup similar to yours i drove a 10.5 gearing and got up to 72-75 with the polini SP exhaust.
    Hope this helps you out a bit.

rubymax
    Topic starter

Do you think that with this set up malossi gearing (1:9) would’t be too hard. What about some bad experiences with CIF gearing – bad quality?

sx3-swe
    Bijdrager

The Malossi gearing is quite long, especially in combination with 90mm rear disc. I think you will experience lack of acceleration if you go 90mm+1:9.

Meanwhile, the CIF gearing isn’t best quality.
    I’d say you should try 1:10,5+90mm or 1:9+100mm

Martino
    Bijdrager

You’re sure you have a 1:12,5 ratio? These are somewhat rare to be seen. But indeed to short for a high top speed although 60+ Kms must be possible.

Forget about the CIF and Malossi gears. The CIF is actually rubbish and the Malossi to long for your setup. You will be best off with a 1:10,5 ish gearing. And again make sure you don’t buy any CIF parts because CIF also produced faulty 1:10,73 gears.

rubymax
    Topic starter

Thanks to all of you for the comments.:thumb

I would certainly go for original Piaggio 1:10,5 gearing, if I could get one:con

Is there any other way beside that you turn the rear wheel and count the revolutions to be sure that I get the right one 1:10,5 gearing. If I dismount the vario gear hub and count the numbers of tooth on the gear wheels?

sx3-swe
    Bijdrager

Sorry for highjacking the thread, buti s all the internals different between 1:10,5, 1:12,5, 1:13 and so? Or is it for example only the main shaft for the clutch that differ between the ratios?
    There are plenty of single gears on Ebay, but how to tell which will fit?

Is there any any chart availble that describes the relation between number of teeths and the ratio?

Edit: Found this on Italian forum:
    http://www.ciaocrossclub.it/root/discoremoto/maxiciao/raporti%20by%20maxiciao.pdf

rubymax
    Topic starter

Nice chart, but I need some explanation:con

sx3-swe
    Bijdrager

It’s quite easy..

Column #1 = brand
    Column #2 = Where to find, (model/country or sold as kit)
    Column #3 = Are teeth angle cut or straight cut
    Column #4 = The ratio of the gearbox
    Column #5, 6, 7, 8 = Number of teeth on the gear, starting from the shaft that the clutch attaches to.
    Column #9 = No idea actually.
    Column #10, 11, 12, 13 = I think this is the individual part number for each gear, starting with main shaft for the clutch.

But I wonder one thing, the Pinasco gearing seem to have same type of numbers as the Piaggio, did they use OEM gears, to make their own ratio based on original piaggio gears? If so, then it would be possible to build your own 1:10 gearing?
    EDIT: I see now that only the first 2 set of gears matched Piaggio, rest seem to be unique

rubymax
    Topic starter

Thank you for the exact explanation:).

If I understand the chart I must look for details in row 8 (1:10,5) gearing 10.73?

Lennaert
    Bijdrager

sx3-swe :
    It’s quite easy..

Column #1 = brand
    Column #2 = Where to find, (model/country or sold as kit)
    Column #3 = Are teeth angle cut or straight cut
    Column #4 = The ratio of the gearbox
    Column #5, 6, 7, 8 = Number of teeth on the gear, starting from the shaft that the clutch attaches to.
    Column #9 = No idea actually.
    Column #10, 11, 12, 13 = I think this is the individual part number for each gear, starting with main shaft for the clutch.

But I wonder one thing, the Pinasco gearing seem to have same type of numbers as the Piaggio, did they use OEM gears, to make their own ratio based on original piaggio gears? If so, then it would be possible to build your own 1:10 gearing?
    EDIT: I see now that only the first 2 set of gears matched Piaggio, rest seem to be unique

Correct Pinasco used the original gearing to create a 1:10 ratio Tonni and myself each have a set and counted it gives exactly 1:10 ratio wich is a nice middle point of the malossi and original 10,5.

sx3-swe
    Bijdrager

Nice, but how about the last two gear? 12/30 and 44, they seem to have Pinasco numbers? I can’t find any Correlating numbers of teeth on the Piaggio sets, according to the chart. ?

12 berichten aan het bekijken - 1 tot 12 (van in totaal 12)

Je moet ingelogd zijn om een reactie op dit onderwerp te kunnen geven.