Request for a favor –some hand-holding :)

Home Forums English General questions Request for a favor –some hand-holding :)

This topic contains 11 reacties, has 5 deelnemers, and was last updated by sx3-swe 7 months, 1 week geleden.

12 berichten aan het bekijken - 1 tot 12 (van in totaal 12)
  • Gebruiker

Peter-swe
    Topic starter

Hello fellow moped aficionados!
    I have been reading around the forum a bit but I think I still need some hand-holding in my first steps into this awesome madness.
    I am a happy owner of 3 different Ciaos in various stage of disarray! Two are MIX based, one is a PX, all are circa 1999. All are 25km/h, only one runs as it should. One is in discrete parts, ready for a full repaint and restoration. Plan is to do the same with the second one in due time (or maybe at the same time) and once one or two a running and sorted, restore the only good running one.
    I am ready to buy some parts (one has a scored piston) and I would love to have someone help me start the upgrade and restore process properly…
    I have a good list of problems and I have a good handle on measurements and such. Not afraid to take on modifications of parts (within reason) and consider myself quite handy with the mechanical end of things.

Thank you all in advance!

zevenenergie
    Forum Goeroe

Hallo Peter welkome on the forum.

Unfortunately, we can’t help you if you don’t have an avatar. Please use this one* until you have your own.
    Tank you !

*Screenshot_2021-04-23 lelijk wijf - Google Zoeken(1)

SuperSi
    Bijdrager

Dont mind Zevenenergie. He has his moments.

You can post your problem and we will try, to the best of our abilities, to help you out!

And welcome to the forum!

• Deze reactie is gewijzigd 7 months, 1 week geleden door SuperSi.

Crullie
    Donateur

Welcome Peter 😉

I’m guessing you’re looking for a new piston and other parts for your Ciao’s, just call out what you need and we’ll see what it takes. If you need advice, we will try to help you as best we can to get the Ciao’s back in order.

TICKLING BARN

Peter-swe
    Topic starter

Thank you for the warm welcome and Zevenenergie, what a wonderful creature that is 😛 !
    Here is the situation as of now:
    Black Ciao:

• Looks like a Mix, motor is from a Mix, frame carries C2400 plate, oil pump missing and tank isolated.
    • No variator
    • Electronic ignition
    • Scored piston, a LOT less scoring on cylinder but visible, not perceivable by touch. 10mm piston pin.
    • Piston is 38.2mm
    • Exhaust port is 22mm
    • Skirt measures about 45.68mm
    • AW looking stamp in the cast of the cylinder (I’ll upload some pictures)
    • Homemade clutch spacer washer, poorly done
    • SHA 12.10 with short choke lever and 42 nozzle, stock 3 hole filter
    • 26mm clutch pulley
    • 84mm rear pulley
    • 10.5:1 rear drive
    • 16″, 3-spoke aluminum wheels
    • VERY small stock exhaust

It is completely disassembled, tried few paint strippers, none work, looking for a sandblaster 🙂

Red Ciao:
    The worst case, kind of, simply put together from a pile of parts from the looks of it. Ran fine but…s’got issues! 🙂

• Looks like a Mix, frame type and serial destroyed
    • Piston 38.2 BUT aluminum and 3 rings! 12mm pin running in a bushing
    • Skirt is about the same as the other one — 45.77mm
    • 22mm exhaust port (seems welded on)
    • WORST part–crankshaft end–thread damaged, someone welded an extension and added a larger nut for a spacer and then tightened it to the clutch
    • carter lid is NOT from a Mix, closed at the pump side
    • two coils and a contact/switch, not electronic
    • SHA 12.10 with not the typical Ciao throttle pull
    • Polini looking foam element filter
    • 50 nozzle
    • 65mm pulley that ran on a not properly tightened belt and ate the plastic enclosure of the side cover screw a bit.
    • 26mm clutch
    • 10.5:1 ratio
    • Mix 16″ aluminum wheels
    • Looks like PX stock exhaust, larger than the Black Ciao one, no stamping of any sort

Blue runs great, it is SLOW 🙂 A little rusty but by the time I get to it it will turn out the best of all.
    circa 2000 PX, 5 spoke 17″ wheels

• Standard motor (have not disassembled it yet)
    • SHA 12.7 with a stock 3 hole filter
    • Electronic ignition
    • 94mm pulley at back
    • 10.5:1 final drive
    • Looks like PX stock exhaust, larger than the Black Ciao one, no stamping of any sort

Aspirations: Get them all to being pretty and running good. If I can get two of them to keep 40km/h with head wind, that would be great (keep me out of trouble, no license plate required for these here in Sweden). One is begging for a bit more power 🙂 Would not mind that! Special project.

This is where the problem lays–I have read a lot about DR, Malossi, Polini, Olympia, Mazzucchelli…It is rather difficult to select components that would do as I want them without the experience 🙂
    I would love some hand holding on at least the initial order of parts 🙂 (along with cables tires etc and let’s not forget exhausts and carburetors –Sito Plus? SHA 12.12? 13.13?)
    Thank you all in advance!

sx3-swe
    Bijdrager

Hi Peter,

I guess you’ve imported thoose mix-ciaos to Sweden? Since they weren’t sold on our market.
    No licence plate required as you state, but you still need the “typintyg” for the mopeds to be road legal.
    Not saying that I following that very strictly at all, but tecnically it’s in the books. 🙂
    Thoose who attended VCNL meet 2019 might remember our stacked Caddy with Dutch Vespas going to Sweden 😯

Don’t know if you already a member of “Vi som åker piaggio ciao” on Facebook, but theres about 1800 Swedish members. If you’re not already in, join the group. 🙂

zevenenergie
    Forum Goeroe

Such a long question is usually too much for most people. Especially because it has to be translated into English.

But I do want to get started, so we can get you in the right direction:
    A 13/13 is always the best choice, even if you don’t adjust the inlet, you can just put a smaller nozzle in it.

JMPB is our sponsor and many people buy their parts here. They have almost everything for the ciao.
    But also look under the Citta tab, because that is the fresher for engine parts.

If you view the JMPB site in  Googlechrome you can translate it into your language.
    So here you can buy cables and tires without much knowledge.
    And if you see something that you doubt, you can just ask us again.

As for cylinders for your fast ciao, I would choose the DR43mm which only needs a little adjustment for the booster ports. And is powerful and indestructible.
    https://www.jmpbonderdelen.nl/65cc-cilinder-citta-ciao-si-dr-p10.html

The ganelly citypower is the best choice for all your Ciao, s:
    https://www.jmpbonderdelen.nl/uitlaat-vespa-ciao-giannelli-citypower.html

• Deze reactie is gewijzigd 7 months, 1 week geleden door zevenenergie.

zevenenergie
    Forum Goeroe

Peter-swe
    Topic starter

Hi Peter, I guess you’ve imported thoose mix-ciaos to Sweden? Since they weren’t sold on our market. No license plate required as you state, but you still need the “typintyg” for the mopeds to be road legal. Not saying that I following that very strictly at all, but tecnically it’s in the books. 🙂 Thoose who attended VCNL meet 2019 might remember our stacked Caddy with Dutch Vespas going to Sweden 😯 Don’t know if you already a member of “Vi som åker piaggio ciao” on Facebook, but theres about 1800 Swedish members. If you’re not already in, join the group. 🙂

Yes, imports! Happened in the course of about 6 months – I looked at the ones in NL but could not find the way to get the ones from marktplaats 🙂
    The moment I started looking for local ones, prices here in Swe went absurd.
    Where are you located if no secret?

• Deze reactie is gewijzigd 7 months, 1 week geleden door Peter-swe.

Peter-swe
    Topic starter

up

DR43mm seems to be out of stock everywhere! 🙂 Must be really good

Thanks for chiming in and confirming 13/13 is a solid choice. From the looks of it, I will need few carburetors…and DR43mm kits when they become available. The question now is how to proceed with the motors–the 12mm pin one is a risk considering the poor attempt at repairing the crankshaft thread.
    Is it too crazy to consider the engines as crankcase only–bore them out for the 46mm skirt, open intake, new crankshaft (at least one), new DR43 kit with new 13/13?

zevenenergie
    Forum Goeroe

Is it too crazy to consider the engines as crankcase only–bore them out for the 46mm skirt, open intake, new crankshaft (at least one), new DR43 kit with new 13/13?

Its the way to go.  A lot of people here have done that.
    Try to keep the original crankshaft,s if you can. They are stronger than te one,s you can buy.

sx3-swe
    Bijdrager

Yes, imports! Happened in the course of about 6 months – I looked at the ones in NL but could not find the way to get the ones from marktplaats 🙂 The moment I started looking for local ones, prices here in Swe went absurd. Where are you located if no secret?

Stockholm/Tyresö, no secret. 🙂
    Parts are often no problem to buy at Marktplaats, but I have gotten scammed twice last year so I haven’t bought anything from Marktplaats lately.

I usually buy alot from JMPB, fast shipping and alot of parts. Otherwise Twostroke and Mopedrenovering in Sweden are good options too.
    The DR is however availble in Sweden, I have good experience with Mopedrenovering:
    https://www.mopedrenovering.se/veteranmopeddelar/baghee/cylinder-topp-kolv/cylinder-63cc-ciao-43-mm-10mm-dr.html

12 berichten aan het bekijken - 1 tot 12 (van in totaal 12)

Je moet ingelogd zijn om een reactie op dit onderwerp te kunnen geven.