cdi, other than simonini?

Home Forums English General questions cdi, other than simonini?

This topic contains 8 reacties, has 7 deelnemers, and was last updated by Speedbuster 16 years, 5 months geleden.

9 berichten aan het bekijken - 1 tot 9 (van in totaal 9)
  • Gebruiker

deanhatesyou
    Topic starter

can anyone tell me if malossi or anyone else made a cdi, other than simonini?
    i’m building a malossi engine, and would like to go the cdi rout, but i hear the simonini unit will not fit.

are the kenitic cdi units any good?

Tonni

Hi!

My experience with the kinetic unit was short. I bought one some time ago, but it didn’t work to my satisfaction. It didn’t produce a proper spark on low RPM, so the engine wouldn’t run at (low) idle. I sent it back.

Other then the stock CDI ignition or the kinetic type, to my knowledge there has been no other brand that produced one.

The best you can do is the stock Piaggio CDI combined with the lightweight flywheel from Pinasco (about 650 Grams). This flywheel is a lot lighter then the one from Piaggio(about 1400 Grams)

An other option would be to use the normal type ignition with the Sparcon ( even though it has the simular weak spark at low RPM/ idle,it still works like a CDI on the ‘normal’ ignition).

If you have the engine for CDI ignition; Simonini has an adaptor ignition backplate where the standard type can be fitted on, this combi will even allow you to adjust your pre-ignition!

Though I realize the backplate will be difficult to get, (I’ve been trying to get me one for some time) in my opinion it’s the best option..

Good luck!

Tonni

I came, I saw, and I forgot what I was doing...

deanhatesyou
    Topic starter

thanks tonni!
    do you know if there are any photos of this simonini back plate? do you think it would be difficult to machine one?

also, where do i find the stock cdi? piaggio never imported mopeds to the us with cdi, at least not to my knowledge. is there some kind of online store that i could order this from? also, are there any stores i can order pinasco parts from?

hardly anyone tunes ciaos over here, finding parts and part sources is pretty hard sometimes!

Edjuh
    Bijdrager

The pinasco flywheel is becoming rare, i don’t know of any shop that still sells them. Also, the last bunch that our sponsor webshop jmpb sold had some problems, weak magnetic field o.s.

I’m sure there are webshops willing to ship to the US, but i believe cdi’s from geared Vespa’s can also be used!

Those might be easier to find within your country.

hansieb

If you want to go elctronic you also need a electronic motor.
    Jmpb has allot of stuff new and also sends it to USA i think.

CDI= http://www.jmpb.nl/shop/view_product.php?product=VE3176
    Ignition = http://www.jmpb.nl/shop/view_product.php?product=VE3370

But you also need a engine which you can put your electronic ignition on and you need a flywheel ( pinasco or orginal )

polini.ch only has the pinasco wheel , or you have to look good on ebay.

The plate which you can make your electronic ignition -> contact ignition

Millen
    Bijdrager

Hello. I made my own plate for the ignition. Its easy and it´s not so much money, maybe 10 euro.

hansieb

Hey millen 🙂 how are you

Do you have some pictures / measurements of the ignition plate iam very interested.

terrydean
    Bijdrager

yes, i’m very interested in your ignition plate also!
    i have a kentic motor sitting in my garage, i may give the cdi from that a try to see how it performs.

Speedbuster
    Bijdrager

This is i think what you want to see?

9 berichten aan het bekijken - 1 tot 9 (van in totaal 9)

Je moet ingelogd zijn om een reactie op dit onderwerp te kunnen geven.